Thursday, August 03, 2006

Magnolia


Magnolia
Originally uploaded by jimblodget.

This is the first painting I've done with Painter 8 using my own custom oil brush. I like the look. I also used the round camelhair brush. On the left I was using the clone color, but it looked too photographic. So, from the center to the right I sampled various colors and hand painted sections of stems and branches. It looks more natura that way.

I started the painting by brushing in the background blue with a large brush. It ended up looking like water instead of sky, but it's kind of interesting. I also uploaded a detail of the painting to Flickr so you can see the brush strokes. After I painted the sky I worked from left to right and roughed in the flowers and some of the branches. Then I switched to the camelhair brush to paint the branches and add some detail to the flowers.

No comments: